Catalogue for Christophe Guyard
Permanent composer member of the Collegio musicale and founder; See Rules of Procedure for the Fund [Link]
NEWSTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
Thu, 28 September 2017 Teatro Vittoria, Turin (Italy) - "The Villa of Composers 2016/2017 concert season" / 20.30 pm / Official concert programme Clara Cernat, alto - Thierry Huillet, piano:
- 0108 Partita in Re, version Alto & piano
Sun, 24 September 2017 Abbaye du Mont-Saint-Michel (Normandie) - Via Aeterna Festival/Mass - Abbey mass 11.15am - "Alleluia", Christophe Guyard organist:
- 0104 L'Office du Mont-Saint-Michel; grand-orgue
BIOGRAPHYTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
Christophe Guyard was born in Rennes in 1966. He studied piano with Pierre Froment and composition with Franz Tournier. He was fascinated by the major 20th-century composers; with the support of his teachers, he met Olivier Messiaen during concerts at Rennes Opera House and presented the organ manuscript "Trilogie 15" to him, upon which the great composer recommended that he study in Paris.
In 1984 he was admitted to the Paris Conservatoire (CNSM), then directed by Marc Bleuse, and attended classes taught by Jacques Castérède for Analysis, Marius Constant for Orchestration and Claude Ballif for Composition. During this time he officiated as organist at the Abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel (from 1985 to 1995), where he was particularly marked by the exceptional and inspiring presence of Prior Bruno de Senneville.
While at the CNSM, Christophe Guyards compositions were commissioned for recording and broadcast by Radio France. He was also a resident for a short time at the Siena Accademia Musicale Chigiana, and for three years at IRCAM, directed by Pierre Boulez, as a CNSM researcher specialising in Analysis. Exposed to the world of computer methods at IRCAM, he submitted a thesis entitled "Computer-assisted composition techniques".
In 1986, the City of Rennes awarded him the music composition prize for his "Concerto dYs" for piano and orchestra. He obtained four premiers prix at the CNSM, for Orchestration (1985), Analysis (1986), Composition (1986) and Research in Analysis (1987).
Several of his chamber and instrumental works, including "Voyager III", 3 Sonatas for piano, "Alchimie", and "Phénix" for pipe organ, appeared in print, published by Billaudot.
The year 1989 saw him compose "Trans-Sidéral", a commission for the string sextet of the French National Orchestra.
From 1989 to 1996, he held the post of Director at the Conservatoire in Albertville, where he wrote a number of pieces for student ensembles. For the Albertville Winter Olympics in 1992, he wrote and directed the "Symphonie des Jeux", a joint project for the Annecy, Albertville and Grenoble Conservatoires.
From 1997, he started composing works on commission for concerts ("Le Livre de voyage à New-York") and major shows. In May 1998, the Council of Europe commissioned him to write a new version of the European anthem on the theme of Beethovens "Ode to Joy". This led to the work "Rhapsodie sur lHymne Européen" for full orchestra, along with various instrumental versions. Several recordings were released by the Council of Europe, including the version for piano (Thierry Huillet, piano), a first version for symphony orchestra (conducted by Alfred Herzog) and a second version with the German Radio Orchestra (SWR) (conducted by Roland Kluttig).
It was at this time that he made the acquaintance of various producers of sound and light shows held at historical monuments, for whom he wrote a number of original works, and he gradually became more and more involved in the field of multimedia project design and production (the "Grottes de Baume Obscure" and Clamouse caves, the "Cathédrale dimages" in Baux-de-Provence, the Church of Hérémence and the castles in Sion). These permanent spectacles are admired by audiences ranging from a few dozen to hundreds of thousands each year.
Guyard turned to lyrical works with "Valère et la lumière des étoiles" in 2001, with the support of the great violinist Tibor Varga in Sion, and "Fortitudo" (recorded at the Métropole concert hall in Lausanne in 2006). His works have been recorded with internationally renowned artists, including Brigitte Fournier, Brigitte Balleys and Stephan Imboden, and at high-level technical facilities such as orchestral venues, the Tibor Varga Studio and a concert hall (recording directed by Swiss radio station RSR).
His technical knowledge in computer engineering enabled him to create his own IT systems for directing and broadcasting his shows; his most prominent permanent work is undoubtedly "Sion en lumières" in Valais, Switzerland, since 2004.
In 2010, with fellow composer Marc Lys, he founded the "Villa des compositeurs" committee, with branches in Paris, in Turin and in Rome, to promote composers' works within the world's most prestigious libraries.
In January 2017, Christophe Guyard has been nominated as new Artistic Director of the Igor Stravinsky Foundation.
- The Villa of Composers / gc6r-2733 / a-1409
- Document revised: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:25:28 +0100
Generated by The Villa of Composers® engine:
Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:25:29 +0100
LIST OF WORKSTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
- 0016 Voyager III for Vl Cl Piano; 12 min., Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0016, 1985
- 0035 Les Lois séraphiques for Cl Piano; 4 min.50, Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0035, 1986
- 0045 Trans-Sidéral for 2Vl 2A 2Vlc; 20 min.35, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0045, 1989
- 0072 1re Sonate pour Violon & Piano for Violon, Piano; 22 min.30, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0072, 1993
- 0084 Concerto pour violon for Violon, Piano; 11 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0084a, 1996
- 0108 Partita in Re, version Alto & piano for Alto, piano; 16 min., Unpublished, Dedicated to Clara Cernat & Thierry Huillet - First performance : Teatro Vittoria, Turin - 28 septembre 2017, gc6r-2733-CCN0108a, 2017
- 0103 Il giardino della Villa di Livia for Flûte; 6 min.10, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0103, 2012
- 0108 Partita in Re, version Alto solo for Alto; 16 min., Unpublished, Dedicated to Clara Cernat - First recording : Villa Tesoriera, Turin - 27 septembre 2017, gc6r-2733-CCN0108b, 2017
- 0005 Fable impromptue for Piano solo; 3 min.10, Unpublished, from Préludes-impressions (album), gc6r-2733-CCN0005, 1983
- 0012 Sonate Passions for Piano; 17 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0012, 1984
- 0025 2e sonate pour Piano for Piano; 9 min.45, Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0025, 1986
- 0028 1re Sonate pour Piano for Piano; 8 min., Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0028, 1984
- 0029 3e Sonate pour Piano for Piano; 11 min.30, Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0029, 1986
- 0031 Alchimie - 10 pièces for Piano; 25 min., Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0031, 1986
- 0036 4e Sonate pour Piano for Piano; 24 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0036, 1987
- 0074 Toccata, 7 Préludes & Fugues (album) for Piano; 41 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0074, 1994
- 0090 Rhapsodie sur lHymne Européen for Piano; 6 min.35, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0090a, 1998
- 0102 Fantasia for Piano; 7 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0102, 2012
- 0105 5e Sonate pour Piano for Piano; 11 min., Unpublished, Commande pour le XXVIe Concours International de Piano d'Epinal, 2017 www.concours-international-piano-epinal.org, gc6r-2733-CCN0105, 2016
- 0106 Un matin de Sonate for Piano solo; 3 min., Unpublished, Préludes-impressions album, gc6r-2733-CCN0106, 2016
- 0001 Trilogie 15 for Grand-orgue; 15 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0001, 1982
- 0009 Phénix for Grand-orgue; 18 min., Editions Billaudot, gc6r-2733-CCN0009, 1984
- 0043 Aquila for Grand-orgue; 17 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0043, 1988
- 0070 Livre d'orgue 1993 (album) for Grand-orgue; 22 min., Unpublished, Prélude en Ut, 1er Choral-Fantaisie, 2ème Choral-Fantaisie, Fond d'Orgue, Toccata en duo, gc6r-2733-CCN0070, 1993
- 0083 Orgue obscur for Grand-orgue; 23 min.13, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0083, 1996
- 0087 Fantaisie sur Visions, Jugement et Résurrection for Grand-orgue; 16 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0087, 1997
- 0090 Rhapsodie sur lHymne Européen for Grand-orgue; 6 min.35, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0090b, 2001
- 0107 Quatre Métamorphoses for Grand-orgue; 10 min.48, Unpublished, I-Fantaisie (3:13), II-Adagio (2:27), III-Esprits (2:45), IV-Toccata (2:19) created at the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral / 22 April 2017, gc6r-2733-CCN0107, 2016
- 0079 Oratorio Mor-Bihan for Symphonique, solistes et choeurs; 90 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0079, 1995
- 0096 Valère et la lumière des étoiles for Double orchestre à cordes, piano, orgue, solistes; 26 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0096, 2001
- 0098 Fortitudo for Orchestre à vents, solistes, choeurs; 26 min.16, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0098, 2006
- 0101 Magnificat, Poème de Clamouse for Chur à 6 voix, orgue continuo, percussions, 2 harpes, grand-orgue; 6 min. 18, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0101, 2011
- 0024 Concerto d'Ys for Symphonique, Piano; 12 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0024, 1986
- 0084 Concerto pour violon for Symphonique, Violon Instrument solo; 10 min.15, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0084b, 1996
- 0085 Le Livre de Voyage à New-York for Orchestre à vents; 29 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0085, 1996
- 0086 Poème symphonique sur le Psaume 79 for Symphonique; 14 min.27, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0086, 1997
- 0090 Rhapsodie sur lHymne Européen for Symphonique; 6 min.35, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0090c, 1999
- 0090 Rhapsodie sur lHymne Européen for Orchestre d'harmonie; 6 min.35, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0090d, 2003
- 0032 Le Livre de Colombe (album) for Grand-orgue; 31 min., Unpublished, 1-Rorate caeli, 2-Puer natus, 3-De profundis, 4-O Filii, 5-Te Deum, 6-Salve regina, gc6r-2733-CCN0032a, 2014
- 0032 Le Livre de Colombe (album), version Soprano & Grand-orgue for Soprano, Grand-orgue; 31 min., Unpublished, 1-Rorate caeli, 2-Puer natus, 3-De profundis, 4-O Filii, 5-Te Deum, 6-Salve regina, gc6r-2733-CCN0032b, 2014
- 0094 Cantate sur le Psaume 18 for Quintette voca, Tbn solo, Piano Perc; 15 min.10, Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0094, 1999
- 0095 Cantate dombre et de lumières for Soprano Basse Chur Grand-orgue Clavecin Orchestre à cordes; 33 min., Unpublished, gc6r-2733-CCN0095, 2000
- 0104 L'Office du Mont-Saint-Michel for grand-orgue; 70 min., Unpublished, N°1 Veni Creator Spiritus - N°2 Laudabo Deum meum - N°3 Illùminet vultum suum super nos - N°4 Lecture, en crescendo - N°5 Lecture, en choral - N°6 Lecture, arabesque - N°7 Lecture, en acclamation - N°8 Lecture, interrogative - N°9 Lecture, Reconciliamini Deo - N°10 Lecture, Sanctus es - N°11 Lecture, sur pédale de grand Ré - N°12 Lecture, en conclusions sur-majeures - N°13 Lecture, paraphrase sur Te Deum - N°14 Benignitàtem fecit Dòminus - N°15 Illùminet vultum suum super nos - N°16 Pax vobiscum - N°17 Variations sur Pax vobiscum - N°18 Illùminet vultum suum super nos - N°19 Reconciliamini Deo (en La, en Si) - N°20 Alleluia & Reconciliamini Deo - N°21 Sortie sur Te Deum - N.22 Alleluia Via aeterna, gc6r-2733-CCN0104, 2017
DISCOGRAPHYTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
- Concert Teatro Vittoria 28 Septembre 2017 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B70928 Recording , 2017
- Concert Villa Tesoriera 31 May 2017 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B71012 Recording , 2017
- Concert Villa Tesoriera 1rst Octobre 2015 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B51001 Recording , 2015
- Concert Villa Tesoriera 29 Octobre 2014 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B41029 Recording , 2014
- Palazzo Farnese 5 July 2012 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B20701 Recording , 2012