Catalogue for Marc Lys
Permanent composer member of the Collegio musicale and founder; See Rules of Procedure for the Fund [Link]
NEWSTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
- News unavailable
BIOGRAPHYTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
Marc Lys was born in Dinan, France, in 1963. Early on he developed an interest in music, encouraged by his parents, keen amateur musicians and opera lovers. He took piano lessons, then took up percussion and trombone so that he could join the local wind band.
With his talent for music, he naturally focused his studies on the arts, attending classes at Rennes School of Music. Alongside his instrumental skills, he began to learn composition and orchestration under Franz Tournier. His piano teacher, Jean-Léon Cohen, introduced him to Yvonne Loriod-Messiaen, who advised him to prepare for the entrance exam for the Paris Conservatoire (CNSMDP).
After passing performance exams in piano and trombone at the Ecole Normale de Musique (ENM) in Paris, he was accepted at the Paris Conservatoire in 1982. He was fortunate to be taught by Pierre Sancan, himself a composer, who encouraged him to continue his studies in musicology and to keep up his trombone playing. Lys also won a place at the Lyon Conservatoire (CNSMD) to study trombone under Michel Becquet, while continuing his piano and music theory studies in Paris with Alain Bernaud, Bernard De Crépy and Roger Boutry. He then decided to base his studies fully in Paris, taking trombone lessons with Gilles Millière and also joining the advanced analysis class run by Jacques Castérède. He finally completed his extensive music studies in 1990, winning several First Prizes (premiers prix).
While he was a student, he founded a brass ensemble featuring drum kit and keyboard, the New Brass Power Band, with fellow students. Lys himself provided the repertoire for the group, with original compositions and several arrangements of existing pieces in jazz-rock style. The group played together for three years and was widely acclaimed, receiving an invitation from French Culture Minister Jack Lang to play at the first editions of the famous Fête de la Musique.
Marc Lys then decided to turn his hand to piano teaching, and, having been fortunate enough to work with some outstanding teachers himself, he passed his piano teaching diploma. He was appointed as a teacher at Lille School of Music and became actively involved in the musical life of the region as a pianist giving solo recitals, performing concertos with the student orchestra and playing chamber music and trombonist playing in the regional big band and in the orchestra at the school of music under conductors Jean-Sébastien Béreau, Jean-Marc Cochereau and Michel Piquemal. He also became artistic director for the brass ensemble at the school of music, again including in the repertoire several of his own compositions, arrangements and transcriptions in a wide variety of styles. The ensemble regularly performs concerts in the Nord-Pas de Calais region and in Belgium.
Keen to improve his skills in writing for jazz ensembles, he attended the 1990 summer session at the prestigious Eastman School of Music in Rochester, United States, where he worked with leading teachers and arrangers Bill Dobbins and Bill Holman. His arrangement Marc, Say Yes!, based on the Marseillaise, won an award and was performed at the closing concert attended by leading trumpeter Michael Brecker.
In 1996, he was awarded his music school management diploma after completing the course organised by the Boulogne-Billancourt School of Music and its director Alfred Herzog.
The following year he was commissioned to compose a piece the Hymne du nouveau siècle for the opening of the international brass festival in Lille. Lys continued interest in wind and brass, especially the trombone, inspired him to compose a show entitled Feezzy et le trombone de Merlin, which has been performed several times and has provided a real boost for trombone playing across France. His next show, Le tambour de Bongo, for solo singers, choir, African percussion and wind band, was staged in northern France with an impressive 400 performers.
After being invited to compose for the Chicago Chamber Orchestra (for which he wrote Cocktail in Chicago), he was commissioned to write a musical for the Nord-Pas de Calais education authority, Destinations lointaines, to be performed by all the secondary school choirs in the region.
Since 2005, Marc Lys has been in charge of the class for sight-reading and brass ensemble techniques at the Paris Conservatoire. He also teaches chamber music classes at Cefedem Ile de France, a centre for music teacher training.
Lys tries to maintain a balance between his different musical interests and divides his time between his activities as a teacher, performer, composer and conductor. He makes a point of attending rehearsals of his own works with professional, student or amateur orchestras, occasionally even conducting himself (ensembles include the Air Force band, the Paris Conservatoire wind orchestra, the wind band of the Centre region and wind bands from the Montpellier, Bayonne, Dunkirk and Héricourt schools of music). His concertos for soloists and wind orchestras, including Vertiges, Sacrée journée, Trip-sticks and Tangothique, are performed on these occasions and have featured leading soloists such as Jacques Mauger, Jean Raffard, François Thuillier, Anthony Caillet and Philippe Limoge.
In 2010, he founded the Villa of Composers with Christophe Guyard to promote and preserve the works of talented composers in major libraries worldwide.
- The Villa of Composers / lm3d-1631 / a-1409
- Document revised: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:12:13 +0100
Generated by The Villa of Composers® engine:
Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:12:13 +0100
LIST OF WORKSTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
- 0002 Suite pour un poker d'as for quatuor de trombones; 7 min., Editions Billaudot, lm3d-1631-CCN0002, 1985
- 0007 Schubertiade for trombone et quintette à vents; 19 min., Editions IMD, lm3d-1631-CCN0007, 2014
- 0009 Hymne du nouveau siècle, version deux pianos et percussions for deux pianos, percussions, batterie; 8 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0009a, 2007
- 0009 Hymne du nouveau siècle, version cuivres for cuivres et percussions; 8 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0009b, 1997
- 0010 Concertino, version trombone et ensemble de cuivres for trombone solo, petit ensemble de cuivres et batterie; 13 min., Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0010a, 1997
- 0012 Elucubrations for trombone et quintette à vents; 8 min.20, Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0012, 1998
- 0016 Procession et danses, version ensemble de cuivres for cuivres et percussions; 16 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0016a, 2003
- 0018 Vertiges, version en trio avec trombone basse for trio: trombone basse, piano, percussions; 23 min.10, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0018a, 2003
- 0018 Vertiges, version en trio avec trombone ténor for trio: trombone ténor, piano, percussions; 23 min.10, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0018b, 2005
- 0020 Marche pour la paix, version trombones for quintette de trombones et caisse claire; 2 min.30, Editions Feeling, lm3d-1631-CCN0020a, 1999
- 0020 Marche pour la paix, version cuivres for cuivres et percussions; 3 min., Editions Feeling, lm3d-1631-CCN0020b, 2005
- 0027 Trois à Troyes for trio de trombones; 8 min., Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0027, 2007
- 0028 Bis, Marc! for quatuor de trombones; 3 min.28, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0028a, 2008
- 0028 Bis, Marc! for trois euphoniums et tuba; 3 min.28, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0028b, 2008
- 0032 Messages for quatuor de trombones; 13 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0032, 2010
- 0044 Bones Project for ensemble de trombones; 07 min.30, unpublished, création au Temple Saint-Etienne de Mulhouse dans le cadre du concert de clôture de l'Académie musicale du Festival de Trombone d'Alsace - dimanche 28 août 2016, lm3d-1631-CCN0044, 2016
- 0001 Cocktail for trombone et piano; 5 min., Editions Robert Martin, lm3d-1631-CCN0001, 1984
- 0005 Cool Lys, version trombone et piano for trombone et piano; 2 min.30, Editions Sempre più, lm3d-1631-CCN0005a, 1987
- 0005 Cool Lys, version cor et piano for cor et piano; 2 min.30, Editions Sempre più, lm3d-1631-CCN0005b, 1987
- 0010 Concertino, version trombone et piano for trombone et piano; 13 min., Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0010b, 1997
- 0013 Rapsodie armoricaine for trombone et piano; 7 min., Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0013, 1999
- 0025 Sonateen ager for trombone et piano; 24 min., Editions Combre/Lemoine, lm3d-1631-CCN0025, 2005
- 0033 Trip-sticks Concerto, version percussions solo et piano for percussions et piano; 22 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0033a, 2010
- 0035 Tangothique, version euphonium et piano for euphonium et piano; 10 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0035a, 2011
- 0037 Anecdotes, version trombone et piano for trombone, piano; 4 min.30, Editions Sempre più, lm3d-1631-CCN0037a, 2013
- 0037 Anecdotes, version basson et piano for basson, piano; 4 min.30, Editions Sempre più, lm3d-1631-CCN0037b, 2013
- 0037 Anecdotes, version euphonium et piano for euphonium, piano; 4 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0037c, 2013
- 0037 Anecdotes, version trompette et piano for trompette, piano; 4 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0037d, 2013
- 0037 Anecdotes, version hautbois et piano for hautbois, piano; 4 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0037e, 2013
- 0038 Corégie, version cor et piano for french horn solo and piano; 8 min.46, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0038a, 2013
- 0041 Cha-cha Mélior, version trombone et piano for trombone, piano; 3 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0041a, 2014
- 0041 Cha-cha Mélior, version basson et piano for basson, piano; 3 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0041b, 2014
- 0043 Vibhorn for euphonium ou saxhorn basse et vibraphone; 6 min.10, unpublished, création au CRR Amiens le 17-05-2016, lm3d-1631-CCN0043, 2016
- 0006 Tubastone, version tuba for tuba; 3 min.10, Editions Robert Martin, lm3d-1631-CCN0006a, 1988
- 0006 Tubastone, version contrebasse à cordes for contrebasse à cordes; 3 min.10, en cours de copie, lm3d-1631-CCN0006b, 2012
- 0011 Exploitation for trompette; 5 min., Editions Billaudot, lm3d-1631-CCN0011, 1998
- 0009 Hymne du nouveau siècle, version orchestre d'harmonie for orchestre à vents; 12 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0009c, 2003
- 0015 Protocole 2000 for orchestre à vents; 6 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0015, 2000
- 0018 Vertiges, version trombone basse et orchestre d'harmonie for trombone basse solo et orchestre d'harmonie; 23 min.10, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0018c, 2002
- 0018 Vertiges, version trombone ténor et orchestre d'harmonie for trombone ténor solo et orchestre d'harmonie; 23 min.10, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0018d, 2006
- 0020 Marche pour la paix, version orchestre d'harmonie for orchestre à vents; 4 min., Editions Feeling, lm3d-1631-CCN0020c, 2006
- 0023 Une sacrée journée for tuba solo et orchestre d'harmonie; 30 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0023, 2004
- 0024 Cocktail in Chicago for orch. symphonique : à cordes, bois(+sax alt) et cuivres par 1, perc., piano; 7 min.20, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0024, 2004
- 0033 Trip-sticks Concerto, version percussions solo et orchestre d'harmonie for percussions solo et orchestre d'harmonie; 22 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0033b, 2010
- 0035 Tangothique, version euphonium et orchestre d'harmonie for euphonium solo et orchestre d'harmonie; 10 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0035b, 2011
- 0036 Parade du 41ème for orchestre d'harmonie; 7 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0036, 2012
- 0038 Corégie, version pour orchestre d'harmonie for french horn solo and wind orchestra; 8 min.46, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0038b, 2013
- 0014 Feezzy et le trombone de Merlin for quintette et ensemble de trombones, trio jazz, chur d'enfants, 3 comédiens; 65 min., Editions Feeling, lm3d-1631-CCN0014, 1999
- 0022 Le tambour de Bongo for chur, 2 voix solistes, récitant, orch. d'harmonie, percus africaines; 60 min., Editions Feeling, lm3d-1631-CCN0022, 2004
- 0030 Destinations lointaines for chur, 4 voix solistes, ensemble jazz et accordéon; 80 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0030, 2008
- 0042 Chapeau for solistes voix mixtes, choeurs, ensemble instrumental; 50 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0042, 2014
- 0039 Funissimo for big-band; 8 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0039, 2013
- 0040 Bracass'roll for big-band; 7 min., unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0040, 2013
- 0016 Procession et danses, version brass-band for brass-band; 16 min.30, unpublished, lm3d-1631-CCN0016b, 2002
DISCOGRAPHYTHE VILLA OF COMPOSERS
- Palazzo Farnese 5 July 2012 CD-Audio Archives, The Villa of Composers, VDC-B20701 Recording , 2012